Monday, April 21, 2014

You never know until you submit.

Boy was I surprised to get this!
It was February 2013 and we just really finished unpacking all our boxes from the move into our new condo and I felt it was time to let some steam off and get on the radio. My new MFJ 1788 loop antenna had arrived and after some tweaking it was setup and ready to go. The ARRL DX CW contest was on and what a better way to give the antenna a workout! I blogged about my ARRL event and the use of the magnetic loop antenna. I was very pleased to see I was getting out and able to be a points giver in the contest. I was more concerned with checking out the MFJ's antennas performance from my condo location than taking the contest seriously. As a wise ham had told me long ago "always submit your contest score" and I did just that......last week a certificate came in the mail. It seems I was first place in Ontario south section for QRP!! No it's not top in the  country or world but for my condo station it was a great accomplishment. To think I was not even trying for an award.....maybe next year I will go for points and see how I do?

8 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, well done. A nice surprise. 73 Paul

Dick said...

Nice going Mike. I know you were a bit disappointed with the loop early on, but obviously fine tuning and patience has resolved any issues. Congrats. 73 Dick

VE9KK said...

It sure was not something I was expecting!
Mike

VE9KK said...

Good morning Dick, I had read many times about how other hams were using this antenna in the same situation as me. They were doing very well so I knew it was a matter of finding the the right position for the loop and learning how to tune the loop.
Have a nice week Dick.
Mike

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, congrats on the achievement. Well done. It's great to receive an Award.
I notice that the Award is for 2013. I looked in the fabulous Blog entry: New records set at VE3WDM!!, to see that you were working with the Alpha Delta DX-EE and the Attenuator. hi.
Have fun in reading the interesting Blog entries from 11-Feb-2013 till 17-Feb-2013)
73, Bert

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bert, my wife pointed the same date and blog entry as well……ops….well I will for sure be working on getting wall paper that involves the Loop antenna.
Mike

This Winding Road said...

So very true, Mike! Congratulations!

VE9KK said...

Thanks Phil.