Saturday, January 31, 2015

A chance to get some radio time in…….

Some radio time 
A few things fell into place on Friday I got home from work in good time and I really had no house chores to do when I got home! It was radio time for the first time in about 2 or more weeks, I thought about checking the solar conditions….but that may bring dark clouds to my radio party. I decided to not let the propagation god's decide my afternoon but let the radio instead. I just wanted to jump in and see what was up in RF land. The weather has been very cold here the past few days in around -16C or lower. The MFJ 178 loop stays on the balcony all the time (under a patio table cover for ascetics) I hooked the coax up to it and the SWR was great on 15m, 20m and 30m all came in at 1.4:1 or less. I spent some time calling CQ at the QRP watering holes but no bites. I was getting reports on the Reverse Beacon Network so my signal was getting out. It was then the to use the Elecraft P3 to see how the
P3 external screen
bands looked if there were  other stations either calling CQ or in a QSO already. Most all station heard were State side except on 30m there seemed to be either a DX-pedition or a rare call. The station was weak and was running split and I did try to contact him but with no success. It seemed he (or she) was answering calls from only EA land at the time as that was the common call he was responding too. No contacts were made this Friday afternoon but that does not make the time a ZERO on the radio! I was able to feel the excitement of spinning dials and hearing the crackle of the bands in my headphones. In the past I have sometimes gone for weeks on end without any radio time for one reason or another. This time with the short time I had it seemed each and every radio related program I opened on the PC was wanting me to download updates! That I can do later as by the time the updates are done, as well as any hiccups as there always is with updates my radio time would had been long gone. So this time around it was time to skip the updates and just get right into radio.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Solar data on blog not updating??

For about a month or longer I have noticed the the solar data chart that is on my blog is not always updating to the current day. Sometimes the information is 3 or more days old, I thought it was just my blog and was not refreshing properly but I have also noticed on other blogs the same thing happening.  I sent Paul N0NBH an email regarding this today. I like this little app on the blog as it's a nice fast check of conditions for both me and my readers. Having said that it's also true and I have experienced it myself……and that is don't always go by the solar data get on the air you may be surprised.

Monday, January 26, 2015

It's time for a change

Good evening all, as you can tell from the lack of updates on my blog my time has been spent elsewhere. The blog is still a very important to me and reading the others blogs is very enjoyable, I am committed to my blog but not as much for the last few months. This is not radio related at all and is by no means an advertisement. Julie and have decided to work on our overall health and we are under going a lifestyle change. We have decided to eat more of a plant based diet and move away from the processed food (or yummy food) We both have been very preoccupied with reading and research to make sure what we end up with  the best fit for our lifestyle. We have decided to start our journey by juicing to plain old cleaning out our systems. Then its largely a plant based diet with some juicing on the side. So this has kept me very busy and away from positing in my blog. We both hope to loose some pounds and overall eat and get healthy. So the blog is not gone by the way side I'm just getting my health back on track.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Following up

Some readers of my blog emailed me as well as others commented at amateur  for me to try to give CQ a call. One fine reader also sent along the 1 800 number to CQ and on Monday I was going to give them a call. Today is Monday and I did not want to make the call to early in the morning as I did email them and wanted to give some time to see if they would answer me via email. The morning and part of the afternoon went by and no email. So I gave the 1 800 number a call, now sometimes these numbers don't work when calling from Canada BUT this one went through! There was some automated number pushing I had to do to get to the circulation dept. I was able to get to the ext of those that looked after problems with their circulation of CQ! So what happen you ask……IT WAS AN ANSWERING MACHINE…….I was to leave a message with my name and ZIP code to which I gave them my postal code. Then I was asked to leave a brief message with my issue (my issue was far from brief) I also added my phone number and call sign. 
That's the update so far no email and the circulation office seems to have gone the way of an answering machine. This evening I'm going to sit down with some tea and read my QST heck both the digital and print version have arrived!