Monday, January 31, 2011

K6JSS/5 just did not work out..............

During this past week I was very busy at work and really did not get a chance at all to try to work K6JSS/5. I was planning some weekend time to accomplish a contact and get K6JSS/5 in the log. If you are a follower of my blog you know I have had some on and off troubles with interference. I was not sure if it originated in the house or outside. This weekend when I turned on my K3 there was no "on off " anything the offending interference was S7 all the time!!! So if K6JSS/5 was out there I was for sure not going to hear it. With some narrowing down I pegged the troubles to the 230KV high voltage lines outside my house.  This past week I was doing some research on some of the noise canceling units that were out there. I was considering DX Engineering's NCC-1  this is a great unit and it has fantastic reviews but the price tag is 600.00. I then also looked at the Timewave ANC-4  it was more of a reasonable price and seemed to be affective. The last unit I looked at was the MFJ-1026 and this was the unit I ended up purchasing. I found more reviews and Youtube videos about the MFJ unit than any of the others.  So over the weekend I hooked it up and began to familiarize myself with it. Does it work.........I had read that for some it does and others not so much. As for me all I can say is "fantastic" more on that in another blog posting. As for now this week it looks like K6JSS/0 may be in the cross hairs.

5 comments:

Paul M0PCZ said...

Hi Mike, I have read about these noise cancellers, and I believe success is down to the antenna used for it, sounds like you have got that sussed !

73 for now, Paul.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I believe G4ILO Julian has been fighting QRM with these. He had some succes as well. Very curious about your test. Seems to be the thing to have when living in a area with a lot of QRM like you probabely have from the powerlines. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul, yes it does seem that the MFJ is doing the trick but I have to spend more time with it to improve my skill at adjusting it.
Yes Bas Julian does use this unit and his was one of the spots I stopped to read about the MFJ 1026.

John AE5X said...

Sorry to hear that Mike. If you'd emailed me, I would have been more than happy to arrange a sked with you. On now to Kansas - I haven't heard them yet and I'm beginning to think that all-K6JSS W.A.S. is going to be more difficult thatn I'd thought.

VE9KK said...

Good evening John, no problem at all John even if we setup a skid there would had been no way of making the contact. The QRM here was at times S6 all the way to S9.