Sunday, March 13, 2022

Lets get a healthy debate going shall we.....


Everyone is aware of what is going on in Ukraine with the Russian invasion. Each day we hear of new sanctions and boycotts regarding Russia. In Amateur radio circles I have heard opinions from both sides regarding contacting Russian stations or not. The RSGB has made it very clear that they will not accept Russian or Belarus entrants in any RSGB contest. At this point in time, I don't believe the ARRL or RAC has made any statements regarding Russian amateurs?

 

Here is my question, coming up next weekend is a very popular Russian contest for both CW and SSB the Russian DX contest. In the past, I have seen lots of participation on the bands regarding this contest and it has a very good turn out of Russian hams. Are you going to take part this year or boycott it? I have read both sides on this one, how ham radio and politics should be separate. Or ham ops also need to boycott as well to send a consistent message to Russia. 

 

This is the first time as a ham that I have run across this issue does participating in the contest show support for what Russia is doing or does it show we support Russian hams by participating and allowing world events to remain a separate issue?

 

What are your thoughts on the RSGB banning Russia and Belarus? 

 

Are you going to take part in the upcoming contest and if you are not a contest fan are you still contacting hams from Russia or Belarus?

 

Should the ARRL or RAC come up with a position either way? 

 

Finally, I would ask those who do comment to keep it polite and realize we all have an opinion that we may not agree with. I also will delete any inappropriate comments. I always think a good healthy debate is a good thing.

12 comments:

OliverK said...

1) The entire point of ham radio within the US is to extend good will. I think hams can individually make the choice regardless of what the ARRL, RAC, or RSGB say.
2) I'm concerned that cancel culture has hit an entire nation. I don't think its a good thing.
3) Its not necessarily an individual Russian, let alone a ham that made the choice to invade Ukraine. If we're trying to punish Putin, then punish Putin. But I doubt that a ham operator in Russia is involved. And if they are perhaps some good will and discussion can occur that causes an organic mind change. Cancelling Russia is just trying to beat them into good behavior. That was the entire point of the surrender agreement between the world and Germany after WW1.

VE9KK said...

Good evening Oliver and very nice to hear from you. Yes the cancel culture sure has caught on in many areas of our lives today. For some I guess it's less effort to just cancel than it is to deal with it instead.
Thanks for your comment and have a great week.
72,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I agree with Oliver. I will still answer russian calls, still making QSOs. I hope this madness will soon be over and everyone can live in peace. 73, Bas

John AE5X said...

Hans G0UPL sums up his thoughts on the matter:

"So what DO we do? The world's answer appears to be sanctions. Who do sanctions hurt? Putin? Do you think he bought his office chair at the Kremlin from IKEA? And when was the last time he bought a set of underwear from H&M? I doubt all the numbers followed by rows of zeroes in his multiple hidden bank balances around the world care particularly either, about the collapse of the Ruble exchange rate. Sanctions hurt the ordinary innocent people. The whole idea is that even in Russia, public opinion is still important and probably the only place pressure, though grossly inefficient and indirect, can be applied.

Therefore even if you say, the ordinary people are not to blame therefore I won't stop talking to them; by implication and extension aren't you also saying you don't believe in economic sanctions either which also primarily affect the ordinary people; and aren't you in the end saying, you believe in doing nothing at all?"

I have a hard time disagreeing with his logic.

73,
John AE5X

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas thanks for stopping by, yes "madness" to me seems to be a light word for what is going on...not saying you choose the incorrect word Bas but I am at a loss for what is the best way to express it.
Have a nice week,
73
Mike
VE9KK

VE9KK said...

Hello John and as always nice to have your input.....or Hans G0UPL, it's very unfortunate that those at the top very rarely suffer its others around that do.
Thanks for bringing this angle to the situation.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, I agree with Oliver and Bas. I just keep working Russian radio amateurs. It's Putin's war. Radio amateurs worldwide must continue to seek peaceful connections. Refugees from Ukraine are given shelter in the Netherlands. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul, thanks for adding your input to the conversation. As always very nice to hear from you.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, it is indeed a light word for what is happening now in Ukraine. It is the madness of only one man. Can we do anything to help? Yes we can, helping refugees. Trying to change the public opinion in Russia will not help. Keep in mind that Russia is different from our countries, there is only one descision maker and that is Putin, he will not listen to people. Probabely even not when everyone within the country is against him. The only hope is probabely eventually a militairy coup. I don't know? I can't predict the future, I hope this will not escalate into WW3. Shure....I am afraid. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Hello Bas, yes I agree that WW3 to anyone is a good idea....if that is the case we all will suffer and the world will not be the same as it is now. At this point in time things seem to be going in the wrong direction but lets hope soon things will swing toward the better.
Thanks for stopping by again Bas your opinions are always welcome.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

MadDogMcQ said...

This is PUTIN's WAR as Paul says and should be referred to on all media. I have enjoyed speaking with MANY Russian HAMS and my first response would be to continue talking to them. But then I feel that I should do whatever tiny bit I can to make the everyday folk of Russia realise that the whole world has turned away from them because of what their leaders are doing in Ukraine.

Hope you're well Mike.

Regards, Tom, M7MCQ.com

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Tom and very nice to hear from you oh and I have been enjoying reading your product reviews on your blog. Yes it is very unfortunate that the actions of a few affect many. I think the actions of the Russian leadership has drastically changed how they will be viewed in the international eye.
73,
Mike
VE9KK