Saturday, September 7, 2019

Hurricane Dorian welcomes us to New Brunswick!

We have been hearing about it all week as Dorian hit the Bahamas and then the U.S. and now it's our turn here in the Maritimes. Julie and I have never been in a storm like this ever! It's 17:00 here local time and the winds are really picking up along with the rain but we are told on the new the worst is yet to come. I have no antennas as of yet up and thank goodness as now that I have seen what could happen here weather-wise it may cause me to rethink where and how my HF antenna will be constructed and where. So far our power has not gone out but as the evening goes on the wind picks up I would not be surprised if we are in the dark. We did prepare earlier this week with water, food that can be cooked on the BBQ (once the storm calms down that is), our cells are charged up, our SUV is full of gas, the external battery chargers are topped up, our Eaton FRX5-BT radio, if needed, will be ready and the list goes on. Maybe because we are very new to this we are over reacting but I would rather have and not need than need and not have. Our generator arrived yesterday but before that can be put into service I have to install the transfer switch. We are now going to throw the dice and start dinner which is homemade mac and cheese.
Oliver our cat has his own take on things.......

4 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, make sure you are safe. I read that the Hurricane had arrived in Canada. 73 Paul PAØK

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul well we survived the hurricane, the wind was very loud and you could not see across the street at times the rain was coming down so hard. Our power went out at 20:30 local time yesterday and it's still out with no restoration time line. So it looks like it's time to put together the generator that came in the other day.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, good to hear, but that storm does leave a trail of destruction behind. I see you have also a new call sign. Very nice. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, yes I have a new call and this time it's a 2 letter call. I tried to get a CW sounding friendly call sign. I am hoping that KK is easy to pickup when conditions are tough.
73,
Mike
VE9KK