Thursday, November 26, 2015

CQ contest this weekend.

Ahhh the old setup along with a great antenna............
The blog keyboard has been quiet these past few weeks but I am coming along with my digi adventure! I did have some long evenings with trying to get the PC software and rig to talk and get along with each other. I really find the Yahoo groups to be a great help when Im ready to throw in the towel. There seems to be a group for most ham radio applications and very willing and knowledgeable folks out there more than happy to help. This weekend is the CQ CW contest and I have been spending some of my downtime getting things ready. The software I be using is N1MM+ I have not as of yet used this version in a contest I had been sticking with just plan old N1MM. As for rig software I migrated to Win4K3 and am very happy with it more on that in another post. Finally my logging software has changed as well I have just started to use Log40M again more on that in another post. I never planned it this way but it seems that all is new for the contest and that can be both exciting and a disaster!! I have spent time testing out N1MM+, Win4K3 and Log40M and all seems to be going just fine.....but then again there is Murphy. Some of my goals for the contest are:
1.  Stay with the contest and not to get frustrated.
2.  Try not to use the morse code reader and do most by ear....see how that works out.
3.  Have fun and not worry about the score as with my setup placing anywhere for anything is most likely out of the question.
I will keep you posted as to how things go in the contest.....oh and the new setup as well....maybe I will hang some garlic close to the shack to keep Murphy away....:)

6 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, very nice to read you will participate in the CQWW CW. I´ve done my setup last evening and will try N1MM+ together with FLdigi. As extra morse reader I´ll try CWskimmer. Don't forget the garlic ;-) 73, Bas

SV1GRN said...

I wish good chance both of you in the CQWW cw contest. I don't know which reader you are using, in my shack I prefer to use CW Decoder via soundcard which it is very good for my needs and is free:
http://hotamateurprograms.com/downloads.htm
73 de SV1GRN

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, yesterday I had help from a fellow amateur, to repair the ribbon of the inverted V. We had sunny wx with no wind. Excellent for work on roof. Just in time for the CQ WW DX CW contest. I am prepared for very low power, with the attenuator in place. hi. Good luck in the contest. 73, Bert

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, it would be great to hear and work you in the contest I will be S&P for the contest. For code reading I use MRP4066 I have always found it to be a great code reader.
Good luck
Mike

VE9KK said...

The decoder I use and it's not free but I have found it to be the best and picking out hard to read code is MRP4066. There is a free trial you can try it and see if you find it to be better.
Mike

VE9KK said...

Hello Bert, very nice to hear from you and it would be great to work you in the contest! I too as I get used to my new setup will start to drop the power from 5 watts to possible QRPp power.
Good luck
Mike