When operating out and about I use my Elecraft KX1. There were only two areas I wanted to improve the radio. The first being the paddle that Elecraft offers, I purchased their paddle but was never happy with it I solved that with thePalm paddle. This paddle is very smooth, compact and easy to adjust. The final issue I wanted to resolve was the filtering. I found the KX1's filtering to be just "OK" and I had a hard time getting it just right. After doing some internet searching I decided to purchaseElecrafts AF1. From the YouTube videos and different reviews I knew I found my solution. Last week the kit came in and over the coarse of the past week I put the kit together. This kit went together very smoothly and fast the instructions were very clear.
The cut trace (middle right)
There were no toroids to wind just the stuffing of varous resistors, capacitors, diodes and some rheostats. There was one small modification that had to be done to the board (the cutting of a trace) but that was as complected as it got. My plan was to finish the project before the weekend so I could take advantage to the nice weather and do some out door QRP operating. Will be blogging on that after the fact. Unfortunately the unit does not come with a case and neither does Elecraft offer one. This is one fault I do fine with their mini kits there is no enclosure offered. Thanks toW8FGU an enclosureis offered for some of the Elecraft mini kits. They look to be very well made and will be great when using the AF1 out in the park. I ordered an enclosure from Dave for the AF1 but it won't be here in time for my adventure on Saturday.