Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Contest time..........

The North American QSO Party (NAQP) will be my first contest of 2011. I have always enjoyed this contest,  f single operator category  the contest is 10 hours in length. The fun starts at 1pm local time so I have loads of time before and after the contest to get things done around the house. There is plenty of local (North American) action so for my antenna challenged station this is welcomed news. The propagation outlook  has been great  with flux reading in the 90's. I plan on putting my second receiver in my K3 to use in this contest. At times I will be taking advantage of diversity mode, also using the main receiver to work 20 meters  I'll use the sub to scout out openings on 10 and 15 meters. Finally if there is a multiplier in a pileup I will leave the sub there (listening with left ear) move up and down the band with the main VFO working stations (listening with right ear). When the multi's pile up dies down jump over and work him.  Contesting for me is a great time to test out the radio and improve my CW skills and once again no macros it's just me and the key......Lastly I will be able to give my new 40 meter dipole a workout as well.  Good luck to all who are taking part and hope to work as many of you as I can.....Now Murphy will strike here and there....just makes the whole contest experience just that much more interesting.

No comments: