Sunday, June 20, 2021

RFI noise antenna issue

 I have decided to give my MFJ 1026 noise canceller a call to action and combat this RFI I have been having. In the past, I did own a 1026 and used it with great success to remove RFI our plasma TV was giving me. With the MFJ 1026, you need to have what is called a noise antenna and it has to hear the same RFI your main antenna is hearing. When I used this device to remove the plasma TV issue I had no problem getting the noise antenna to receive the RFI loud and clear. 

This brings me to my head-scratching moment with the RFI issue I am having now. The first noise antenna I tried was my H-800 active antenna. I picked up nothing, I then placed it from vertical to horizontal without success. I then moved it around the property and still I was not able to hear the RFI. I then tried a long wire in the horizontal plane fairly close to my Endfed antenna and I picked up nothing. Again I moved this long wire around the property without success again. 

I do have a spare Endfed that I used for portable use and I ran some coax outside to set up the Endfed close to the main Endfed and low and behold I picked up the RFI BUT it was way too close to my main antenna. The MFJ unit (via an internal light/fuse) was indicating far too much RF was making its way down the noise antenna. 

The other thing I tried was the change the length of coax that feeds my main Endfed antenna but this made no change to the RFI issue.  In July we are getting a new aluminum gutter installed and I may try using that as the noise antenna and see if that works. Up to this point I have not been able to pick up the RFI that the main antenna is picking up.....well other than almost putting a noise antenna ontop of the main antenna that as I said did not work out very well. 

5 comments:

John AE5X said...

Hello Mike, with the price of LED TV's dropping, would a replacement for the plasma TV be an option?

73,
John AE5X

VE9KK said...

Good evening John, very nice to hear from you the plasma TV is long gone it was sold and we now have a very nice RFI LED TV. The MFJ 1026 did wonders for me when I had the plasma RFI so I am hoping once I get the noise antenna sorted out it can do the same for me with this new RFI.
73 and have a good week,
Mike
VE9KK

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, The noise antenne receives local noise and cancels it out. Is it possible that the disturbing signal is not local. Or is the noise antenne too long or too good. Hope you suuceed. 73, Bert PA1B

Bert, PA1B said...

Hope you succeed, Bert

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bert and very nice to hear from you, yes I am continuing to work on things here. I seem to not rush things but go at them slow and steady.
73,
Mike
VE9KK