Thursday, November 12, 2020

RFI issue solved!

Back in May I posted regarding an RFI issue I was having and at the time I thought is was the neighbors heat pump. A few weeks ago my neighbor was away on business and his heat pump was off but my RFI was still present and more of it! I took my Eaton FRX5-BT put it on AM with the antenna up and took it for a walk about. When I passed by my Hydro smart meter the RFI was present big time but last time there was no issue at the meter. Upon investigation I read that the meter has cycles were it transmits data and thus the off and on issue with the RFI. The other issue is we are in very close proximity to other homes and I am certain my Endfed antenna is picking up not just my smart meter. The good new in all this is my Icom 7610 has great filtering and my NB is able to filter it out and the issues are gone. It's a problem that I can live with along side the rigs filtering.

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, I have a small issue with PLC devices here from neighbours. Don't know which one and I think it is not in the immidiate neighbourhood. The IC-7300 NB can filter it out as well so I don't care just like you. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, yes I too am very happy that my rig can filter out the issue here as well. It is the times we live in and all the electronics. The manufactures are really not held to account to make sure their product is filtered properly.
73 and have a great weekend,
Mike
VE9KK

MadDogMcQ said...

My Gas/Electricity provider keeps nagging away at me to have a free smart meter fitted, but I keep refusing for this very reason. Glad you found out what it was.

73, Tom, M7MCQ

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Tom, very nice to hear from you and out this way there is no asking. The old meter is taken out and the smart meter is installed.
73,
Mike
VE9KK