Saturday, January 31, 2015

A chance to get some radio time in…….

Some radio time 
A few things fell into place on Friday I got home from work in good time and I really had no house chores to do when I got home! It was radio time for the first time in about 2 or more weeks, I thought about checking the solar conditions….but that may bring dark clouds to my radio party. I decided to not let the propagation god's decide my afternoon but let the radio instead. I just wanted to jump in and see what was up in RF land. The weather has been very cold here the past few days in around -16C or lower. The MFJ 178 loop stays on the balcony all the time (under a patio table cover for ascetics) I hooked the coax up to it and the SWR was great on 15m, 20m and 30m all came in at 1.4:1 or less. I spent some time calling CQ at the QRP watering holes but no bites. I was getting reports on the Reverse Beacon Network so my signal was getting out. It was then the to use the Elecraft P3 to see how the
P3 external screen
bands looked if there were  other stations either calling CQ or in a QSO already. Most all station heard were State side except on 30m there seemed to be either a DX-pedition or a rare call. The station was weak and was running split and I did try to contact him but with no success. It seemed he (or she) was answering calls from only EA land at the time as that was the common call he was responding too. No contacts were made this Friday afternoon but that does not make the time a ZERO on the radio! I was able to feel the excitement of spinning dials and hearing the crackle of the bands in my headphones. In the past I have sometimes gone for weeks on end without any radio time for one reason or another. This time with the short time I had it seemed each and every radio related program I opened on the PC was wanting me to download updates! That I can do later as by the time the updates are done, as well as any hiccups as there always is with updates my radio time would had been long gone. So this time around it was time to skip the updates and just get right into radio.

No comments: