Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lots going on....but no on air time.

No room for Oliver on the old desk
The new desk twice the size
The first half of August sure has been busy around the shack here, not busy with on air time but with getting things done. I have built the A A Engineering smart battery charger for my Elecraft K2. I will be posting the build in the near future. On this project for the first time the during the "smoke test" I actually had SMOKE!!! With kits I have found some of the final check out testing is what I call "destructive" testing as opposed to non destructive testing. Going to a destructive testing  with the Smart battery charger post. One of the kits I built just a short while ago was the QRPometer and it did not have a case...well it does now and that too is going to be another post. I am really not finished with that case yet. I was at the
electronics store the other day (picking up parts as a result of a destructive test going wrong) and saw a neat 9 volt battery holder I am going to add to the QRPometer case. I also have sold all of my items that were up for sale and I have the funds to order my Elecraft KX3. It's not going to be here until  October but that will give me time to read the manual and set up a place for the radio. While on that topic with some of my funds I went online to Ikea and purchased a much needed larger table for my kit building. The old desk was just way to small and things were falling off. The old table was actually a computer desk and it now is off to the side in my shack with an  iMac (27 inch screen) one that Julie donated to me!!! So the new Elecraft KX3 is going to run on Mac software.
iMac waiting for the KX3

F8DGY's antenna
The on air time has been very limited as having to get things done around the house and shack the rig really has not been turned on. I did manage to get some radio time in late last week in the evening. I heard clear as a bell Chris F8DGY calling CQ on 20m. I dropped the K3's power down to 500mW's and gave him a go. He came right back to me with a 579 report. It was a fast exchange and he was off answering others. For me that that a 7,597 miles per watt contact.

8 comments:

Dick said...

Hi Mike, hope it will be F8WBD on 20M next month, hi. 73.

VE9KK said...

Hi Richard, I have no troubles getting into France it seems and it would be great for us to have a 2 way QRP QSO. Have a nice trip back to France.

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, you really doing a good job with QRP. Amazing. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul, yes the QRP and QRPp sure has me seeing the hobby from a new light.

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, I spent much more time on the computer, with radio related stuff than on air time or QSL time. I have spent much time biking and some time canooing. It's all way to much to put it all in the Blog.
Nice QSO with 7,597 MPW. You get the hang of it. hi
How do you like the new entry in the PA1B Blog?

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bert, I checked out your post and very good Russian I must add. I gave you a comment back in Russian as well.

IZ3NVR - KD2BGM said...

Hi Mike, great QRPp contact, I am getting more and more interested in experimenting with such low power and I am moving my feet on building from scratch some QRPp transmitter/RTX. Let's see.

Great job OM

VE9KK said...

QRP is a very interesting part of the hobby it seems to always surprise me how far such little power can go. Do keep in touch and keep me updated on your building QRPp equipment and your contacts.
Mike