Tuesday, April 6, 2021

You just never know.........

9K2OW in the log


This evening I decided to settle into the shack and once again get on FT8 to see what was happening. I went directly to 40m and set my power to 70 watts. As a side note funny thing about 40m  I used to bother the washer machine and an office light would turn on and off but for some reason not anymore. Anyway, this post was about a very nice FT8 contact I made. I was calling CQ well to be more accurate my computer was calling CQ. Right out of the blue I had a call from 9K2OW in Kuwait!! 

With a couple of mouse clicks and he was in the log. Recently I have been reading some positive and negative opinions regarding FT8. Personally, I like to stay neutral when I read these posts maybe that is the Canadian in me but I do know I had a blast having Kuwait answer my CQ call on 40m. It was a short but good evening on ham radio! 

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Well Mike, if you had a big tower and a large beam up. May be even a 40m dipole on top. You could have a QSO with 9K2 every night. Even on SSB or CW. But you don't have it and all you have is a piece of wire as antenna. There FT8 comes in to give you the possebility to enjoy the DX. I call that very positive! 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Bas, yes for the antenna that I have and how it works for me, I am very pleased. I really have not given it an honest go in regard to CW and I just may be surprised with how it preforms in that mode as well.
Thanks for stopping by Bas always nice to hear from you 73,
Mike
VE9KK

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, as you know I am not a big fan of FT8, but as Bas says it's the possibility of working DX with a modest antenna (as I have it too) Congrats with Kuwait, always nice to work stations from the Middle East. Have a nice weekend. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul very nice to hear from you, yes getting into the Middle East is a nice accomplishment for me.
73 and have a very nice weekend,
Mike
VE9KK