Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Busy busy busy!

Good afternoon to all my blog readers that is if you have not given up on me and my lack of posting? I have been on and off the radio but not really any news out this way. I will say that this retirement gig sure keeps me busy! I am the type of person that has to be doing something, it's very hard for me to sit idle and listen to the bird's sing.  My hat goes off to those who can sit and just relax, I call it doing nothing but those who practice it call it recharging the batteries. Well maybe sometime I will get to that point but at this point in my life, I like to keep busy. Before I retired I wanted to make sure that when I did I kept busy. To accomplish this Julie and I agreed (as I drive her NUTS if I have nothing to do) to purchase a fixer-upper home. Funny thing when you mention that to a real estate agent their version of a fixer-upper is what I call a "dump"!

We ended up getting a place that needs some "remodelling" and some outdoor stuff done and just enough to keep me busy. There was some outdoor medium to major projects I wanted to complete before the snow flies and down here on the East coast that can be very soon. The projects are now finished but unfortunately, it had put my ham radio activities on hold for most of the summer months. Winter means indoor work and I plan to slow the pace down a bit so that I am not to really tired in the evenings. 

As I look back I have been retired for over a year now and the time is just flying. Before I retired I had a conversation with some gents who were already retired and they told me the following: 

- It is going to take some time getting used too.....very true it took me about 6 months to get into a routine. 

- You will feel less stressed..... to be honest, I did not feel stressed at the time BUT once I retired I began to realize I had become accustomed to the stress level and it was my unhealthy normal. I now can say that I really was stressed and am now much more content. 

- You will forget what day of the week it is........good lord I just can't tell you how many times I have to really stop and think of what day it is.....never thought that would be me! 

You will be busier than when you were when working fulltime........ true that!! 

I am not sure if I missed any retirement life lessons but if I did feel free to chime in. Now that fall is here it's time to slow down sure the projects are still ongoing but I am going to practice the last bit of advice my retired buddies told me that that is "If it does not get done today it can wait until tomorrow or the next day" My next retirement life lesson is going to be.....make sure I fit time in for my hobby as it too is doing something! 

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Well, what they told is exactly what my father told me after some years of retirement. So I guess they are right. Well I hope you have some more time for the radio hobby in winter. It's the same for me, although I have my daily job. I also have things to do inand out of the house in summertime. It is less in the winter so there is some more time for radio. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Bas, it is good to know I am not alone with having lots to do over the summer months and not much time for radio. Speaking of radio I was on this morning and made contact (CW) with PI75KML celebrating the 75th anniversary of Veron.
73,
Thanks for the comment and have a good rest of the week.
Mike
VE9KK

MadDogMcQ said...

I'm pleased to hear that you are starting to de-stress Mike. I would LOVE to retire but sadly, that day's a long time off. Luckily though, my working days are enjoyable and I get every weekend off, so I can't complain. I've not done a great deal of radio recently myself - mainly due to other hobbies, but like you and Bas said, Winter will probably change all that.

Take care, 73, Tom.
www.m7mcq.com

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom very nice to hear from you, funny thing about the stress I did not even realize I was under stress things just felt normal.....until I retired and realized it. Yes the winter has a way of doing that for many hams. I think once the warm weather comes there is lots of outdoor things around the house to do.
73 and have a great last couple of days of work,
Mike
VE9KK