Friday, July 3, 2020

The annual 13 Colonies special event.

The annual 13 Colonies special event  (please view link to learn more about the event) was going on during the RAC Canada Day contest on July 1st. Last year I read about this event on Larry W2LJ's blog last year and he had a posted about it as well as this year. While I was operating the RAC Contest I found over and over a number of the special call letters from the 13 colonies event kept popping up. I then decided my operating would become contesting /13 Colonies Event operation. I was shocked that by the end of the evening I had a total of 9 of the 13 special calls in the log. Now there really are 15 stations you can contact as there are 2 bonus stations and I was able to snag one of those as well. I was on last evening but was unable to secure any additional contacts. The fun begins now as I have to search out specific calls that I need. Larry W2LJ did mention that the event can get very busy and last evening I was listening to a station (that was already in my log) and it was so busy and the pileup was crazy he had to operate split!
I will be on again this weekend to see if I can get all 13 stations and the bonus stations. Stay safe everyone and thanks very much for taking the time to stop by the blog.

2 comments:

MadDogMcQ said...

Good luck getting the 6 stations Mike - sounds like fun. I've not done any contesting yet.

Regards, Tom, M7MCQ

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom very nice to hear from you, these events are a nice way of dipping your toes into the contesting world. These are very laid back and you have a choice of CW, SSB or digi and any of that mix to contact the stations. One of the nice things about the big international contest is the rare stations are on, and they are listening very hard for you. It's a great way to pickup some rare places.
73 and have a good week Tom,
Mike
VE9KK