Sunday, June 7, 2020

Sundayday's of learning was interrupted

Today I was planning ( you may get the idea by the first 4 words things did not go as planned) to sit down at the radio (Icom 7610) do some reading regarding the radio. I have the Icom advanced manual as well as The radio today guide to the Icom IC 7610 by Andrew Barron ZL3DW. I started up the 7610 without issue found my two above mentioned books. As a sideline, I have been following a conversation on the 7610 I.O. user groups site regarding external monitor issues. The last post it was advised to check the inline fuses? I never heard of inline fuses on a monitor and was just checking online to see if I could see any information. My first thought was someone is confusing the power line fuses in this case. I put the info into my browser hit enter and some sites came up and I clicked on the first site and low and behold my monitor went red in color and I was greeted with the picture above! There was also a phone number (not included in the pic) of "Microsoft" and they could guide me on how to solve the issue. Well, it was obvious to me that this is a scam but my huge issue was my security program did not pick it up and stop the loading. My security program is Bitdefender but more about that in a moment. What happened was my mouse became extremely slow to move around the screen. I was not able to access task manager to close my browser, I was not able to shut my PC down or restart it via menu options. At the time the only option seem to restart the PC by holding in the reset button beside my power on/off button. The PC started without issue and first off I wanted to make sure Bitdefender was running and it was, I then checked to make sure there were no features turned off and all were on. I then opened Malwarebytes (premium trial version) and did a scan and it picked up right away there was an issue. After the scan was done the issue files were deleted. It was time to find out what was up with Bitdefender and why it did not pick up on the issue? I went to their site directly to online chat. In a nutshell, the tech rep only wanted the Malwarebytes log files to be sent and examined. I was disappointed the tech rep did not want to go over my Bitdefender settings to make sure all was on that should be. There really was nothing he did other than having me email the logs. My yearly subscription with Bitdefender is up in 34 days and the handling of this issue my make my mind up either way if I am going to renew or not. Last week I had another question for them and the tech support told me the "back office" would email me a response very soon. Well, guess what I have never heard a thing from them so let's see what comes of the log file submission.  

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Defending your computer is a difficult thing Mike. I've been using various malware and virus scanners in the past with Windows XP, Vista and 7. Now with W10 I don't use it anymore. I have the idea it is all just about the money, not really protecting anything. So far W10 blocks most malicious sites and software. Though because of my own stupid fault I was infected by a chinese virus first week I had a new laptop with W10. W10 didn't block it and I doubt any other detector had done it. Luckely I found the tools to remove everything and be more suspicious now. However you're never completely safe on the internet. There is always someone that finds a way....73, Bas

MadDogMcQ said...

Hi Mike, I've had stuff like this quite a few times at work (where I'm apparently the IT man (even though I'm not)). It's very annoying when this happens and it's very disruptive. AVG has never prevented it from happening and AVG has never helped me to resolve the issue - I've had to sort out out myself each time. Grrrr! 73, Tom, M7MCQ

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Bas very nice to hear from you, in the past I have had some very nasty virus's on my PC up to the point of having to reformat the hard drive to clear things up. I got a great deal on the Bitdefender software for a 2 year time but now it's coming due and the price is not so great now. I am thinking about sticking with the free version of AVG and Malwarebytes. It is very true Bas that there are some folks out there with nothing to do other than come up with new ways to screw up your PC.
73 and have a great week.
Mike
VE9KK

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Tom and hope you are well, I am thinking about going back to the free version of AVG as I served me not to bad in the past BUT having said that my last major virus I had was when I was using AVG. On my home PC I always now keep a backup and a constantly updated clone of my entire hard drive on another drive in my PC. This way I just swap out the drives and I loose basically nothing and I can then reformat the affected drive and use that as my clone backup drive.
73,
Mike
VE9KK