Sunday, February 23, 2020

Morse Runner can now run on a Mac!

In my quest to improve my CW I wanted to add Morse Runner to my PC I am not sure where it went as I am sure it was on my PC. It may not have been reloaded one time I reformated my hard drive in the past. I returned to Alex VE3NEA site to download his Morse Runner program to my surprise I noticed on the site a link there is now a way to run Morse Runner on a Mac PC. This is great for me as I have a Mac laptop and I can now use Morse Runner. KI4STU has created a WineSkin wrapper to allow this great program to also work on a Mac PC. The only issue I have found is that my antivirus program Bitdefender is not allowing the INI file to be saved. Because of this, I have to load my call sign and the program parameters each time I run Morse Runner. I am sure I will find the workaround for this BUT it's great a WinSkin has been provided for this program.


  1. Mike,

    Just a thought. Try turning off BitDefender while you're configuring Morse Runner, or tell BitDefender to not protect the path to the .ini file. If you're as paranoid as I am, disable your upstram internet connection while you're doing it.

    Back in the day, I had a simlar problem, but even worse - my antivirus wouldn't even let me install dl-fldigi (a fork of fldigi, optimised for monitoring amateur high altitude balloons) on one computer because "it didn't have a good-enough reputation", as in no reputation at all. I got round that by using a different machine, although not all of us have that option.

    Geoff, G8KBZ

    1. Good evening Geoff and thanks for stopping by, I have tried to turn off Bitdefender for the time that I loaded Morse Runner, but I was still told it was blocking the .ini file. I will try the other suggestions you gave me as I did not think of that.
      73 and thanks for the input,

  2. Good evening again Geoff, I just turned off the "safe file protection" setting and all is good with it remembering the .ini settings.
    Thanks again for your input.

  3. Glad it worked. A much easier fix than I had when I tried to install dl-fldigi on a spare machine. Eventually, once the (paid-for!) antivirus expired, I installed a free AV, and all worked fine. But I shouldn't have had to do that. If memory serves, it was Norton that bit me, AVG Free didn't give me that problem. It led to me blacklsting Norton (well, that and the obscene impact it had on performance)