Friday, November 15, 2019

Good old Murphy!!!

Just like every other morning, the alarm clock went off at 7:30 and I made myself a coffee and then sat down at the radio to see how 30m FT8 conditions were. As always I turned on the Icom 7610, the PC and then started JTDX software. Everything seemed to be as it should be until I tried to transmit my FT8 signal into the pool. My radio went into transmit but no power output, now in the past I had the power on the Icom turned down to zero and it was a matter of just adjusting the power. I checked and the power was set properly but something was wrong. I then oped the settings tab in JTDX and looked at the audio sub-tab to my surprise the audio input and output selections had changed. I could not see in the drop-down list my Icom audio selection in either the playback or recording tabs? When all else fails with a PC shut down and restart! I checked the playback and recording tabs and now there was an Icom Codec selection but why was it gone, why did it change in the first place and finally what happen to the custom names I gave these selections? I have no idea why JTDX changed the audio selection and why windows removed the Icom recording and playback selections and then they returned but the custom names were gone. All is back to normal and JTDX is functioning just fine but it is very frustrating when these anomalies happen.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Yep, I guess that is something Windows. We just have to live with it I guess. Never happened to me (yet) but I expect something will happen at some point especially after updating. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, yes Windows seems to have a mind of its own and I am still using Windows 7 as I have not as of yet migrated to windows 10. I have my update set to "allow me to choose". But it would seem this did not help in the matter I just had. Speaking of matters I was 5 min's into the CQ CW contest today and my power supply failed! More on that in my next post.
73,
Mike
VE9KK