Saturday, February 3, 2018

Retirement planning time!

Time to start planning for retirement, if you say it fast the end of 2019 is not that far off and that is my official retirement date! As the old saying goes and it's so true "Where did the time go?". I will be 59 at the time of retirement and with good health I should be enjoying this next phase of my journey for some time. So where does ham radio fit into my plans? I could say that once retired I will have all the time in the world for radio......BUT........I have been off for extended holiday periods and at that time I thought I had all the time in the world. It seems even when not working you can still become very busy and radio gets crowed out with other "things" So one of my goals is to make sure I put time aside for radio time.
One of our big retirement plans (as Julie retires the same time I do) is that we are picking up and moving to the UK! We both are citizens of that great country and will be spending our retirement years there and also traveling abroad from our UK home homebase. This brings me back to ham radio again, at this point in Canada I hold an advanced ticket which includes 12 wpm CW. I have been all over the Ofcom (Office Of Comunications) site in the UK looking for information on how my transition regarding my amateur radio licence will be dealt with by Ofcom. Those of you over in the UK reading my blog maybe you can add some insight for me in regards to when I move will my Canadian licence transfer to a UK licence, do I have to start over or a combination of both? I did try my best in going over the Ofcom website but to be honest it is a confusing site.

12 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, you and Julie are very fortunate to get retired next year at such a young age. Plenty of life ahead! When you're moving to the UK we can finally have a QSO I guess. The transition to a UK license should be no problem I guess. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas very nice to hear from you, I have had some good feedback regarding regarding the transition to the UK regarding my licence. As for a QSO I'm very sure that will happen as we are more or less around the corner from each other.
73,
Have a great week
Mike

Keith said...

Hi Mike -
I would suggest you contact a Licensing Officer at Ofcom in London - tel 0300-123-1000. When I returned to the UK from Canada they were helpful in getting my UK call reinstated. Since you have a Canadian Advanced license you should be able to get a UK full license too - an M0 callsign. The DOC (as it was then in Canada)gave me an Advanced based on equivalency.
If you get stuck, let me know by a post on here and I'll call Ofcom on your behalf.
Regards,
Keith G0RQQ ex-VA3QF

VE9KK said...

Good morning Keith, thanks very much for the info and the very kind offer as well. It sure is a big advantage speaking with someone who has already been through this. I for sure will keep you posted.
73 and thanks again.
Mike

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, up to the next stage. I had my retirement at 60, now this year I will become 70. 10 years of happy ham radio. As Bas said: finally I can work you on 40 meter when you are in the UK. 73 Paul PAØK

Keith said...

Hi Mike -
I took it upon myself to call Ofcom today to find out if indeed you would get a full U.K. license on the basis of reciprocity- and the answer was NO!!

Apparently you would have to sit all the U.K. exams starting with the Foundation license and work your way up to Full.

Ironically, you can get a temporary reciprocal for 6 months which I believe would give you full privileges while you sit the exams, but it would be worth talking with Ofcom when you arrive as the person I spoke with seemed a bit confused as to why you would need to start all over again and exactly what privileges you would get under the reciprocal permit.

Regards,
Keith

Keith said...

Mike -
Forgot to ask whether you had a U.K. license BEFORE moving to Canada, even if it lapsed?

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul and very nice to hear from you, it’s true the time does go very fast for sure.
73,
Mike

VE9KK said...

Good morning Keith and thanks very much for doing all that leg work. I also had an email from Ofcom stating the very same thing! I thought it very odd myself as well but she did say I could just keep renewing my temp permit. She did not say whatprivileges I would have under the temp permit. Oh well it’s back to the classroom. For this old guy I’m guessing.......keep me occupied in my retirement!
73 and thanks again Kieth for all the time you spent on this.
Mike

VE9KK said...

Just saw this question.......no I have never had a UK licence.
Mike

Keith said...

Ah - OK on no previous UK license. That would have been the easy route -just get it reinstated.....

Anyway, interesting that you received the same answer that I did - at least it confirms that we both got the correct info!! Perhaps a renewed temporary permit is the way to go, at least until you pass the U.K. exams! As I understand it, there are two types of temporary permits, one with a longer validity than the other, but I’m not sure what the differences are. Perhaps a call or e-mail to the RSGB might help??

72’s,
Keith

VE9KK said...

Good evening Keith, Yes it's to bad in my other life I did not have a UK call....:)) In a way it's good that we both had the same answer from Ofcom that way I know for sure this is the route I have to go down. Next step is to see if there is two temp permits. In a way I am looking forward to doing the UK exams as it keep the grey matter active!
73 and thanks Keith for the help.
Mike