Saturday, October 21, 2017

I just can't believe the weather we are getting for it being half way through October. The temperature today was 22C with clear skies and just a gentle breeze off the lake. This is a great time to grab the KX3 and head out for some portable op's. I check the contest calendar to see what was happening in the way of CW contests. I found the NYQSO party and Worked all Germany (WAG) contest were going to be in full swing the same time I was out. I checked to see what the contest report was supposed to be, contesters can add lots of contacts to a portable op. I set up beside the lake (Lake Ontario) with a nice breeze and in the shade as the sun was out and I did not want to overheat. I made 20m my band of choice and it so happens that it was alive with WAG contesters. The band was in great shape and lots of German stations looking for DX stations to fill their log! I was using my Elecraft KX3 at 10 watts and my Chameleon mag loop antenna. I was set up in 10 minutes and on the air searching the band for contacts. I was on the air for about an hour and had the following contacts:
DF0DW           WAG contest
IQ1GE             DX calling CQ
DJ0SP              WAG contest
DL5HIA           WAG contest
DF8AA            WAG contest
W2RR              NYQSO party
DJ6OZ             WAG contest
DL0DA            WAG contest

As you can see the WAG contest dominated the bands and it turned out the NYQSO party participants were just not making it over the German WAG contesters. I did not include the signal reports in the above list as it was a contest so the standard 599 was sent. I knew I was no were close to 599 as the German stations asked on more than one occasion for a repeat.





6 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, you do well with the mag loop. As you probabely know I made one myself and only have tried it inside a building. From what I see and read here there is a significant difference when you are active outside. Till now the weather is too bad here, but when I have a opportunity I will shure try outside with my mag loop. 73, Bas

Brian KB9BVN said...

Mike...I have the Alexloop and use it from my back patio with my K2...I feel like its a better antenna for receiving than transmitting...could you comment on your Chameleon? I have made MANY contacts with my loop, I like it very much. 73 dit dit

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Bas very nice to hear from you, yes I have followed your Mag loop adventures on your blog. I have the MFJ mag loop on my balcony as well but it's true I have tried my loop indoors and with all the concrete around I had zero results. I am very please with how the Chameleon loop has worked for me on my outings.
Have a good week
73,
Mike

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Brian, the mag loop antennas have always been very good at receiving the portion of the band you have tuned it too. I did own the Alexloop at one time and I found that when I tuned it the SWR would change as I moved away from it....sometime a lot. Also the Chameleon loop has a gear reduction tuning setup. I find this is better for finding the SWR sweet spot. With Alexloop I found sometimes I would be playing for a bit to find the SWR sweet spot.
Thanks for dropping by Brian and taking the time to comment.
73,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Awesome job, lots of DX!

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Mike, it also helped a contest was in full swing as well. When major contests are on I take the overt unity to drop my power to as low as 100mW. With my simple antenna I'm able to get contacts in Europe getting me sometimes 43,000 miles per watt!
73 Mike and thanks for stopping by
Mike