Sunday, February 1, 2015

Ham radio and the Superbowl

As most know today is Superbowl Sunday and most if not all are watching the game and for sure the half time show. I wanted to include ham radio in my Superbowl Sunday, so I was able to have radio to my left and the football game straight on in front of me. I made three contacts all State side North Carolina, Michigan and Missouri. I did have another op deep in the noise floor trying to contact me after one on my contacts ended. After several tries it just was not going to happen so we both moved on. The bands I stayed with were 20m and 30m I am not sure what the condition were like on the bands but I was being heard in the U.S. according to the reverse beacon network.  No huge distances were made this evening but I was able to get a good morse code workout.

4 comments:

Vasily Ivanenko said...

good show -- I combined the game and radio too.. built a DC receiver. Best!

VE9KK said...

Good morning Vasily, its like the best of both worlds!
Have a good wek and thanks for stopping by and commenting
Mike

K5MQ Dave said...

Hello Mike, I was the station deep in the noise floor trying yesterday afternoon. You had just finished a QSO with an 8 station that was also QRP. The 8 was very loud here. I recognized your call from reading your blog in the past and thought I would try a contact. You were very weak here copy about 229 but I had the advantage of getting your call during your previous QSO. Running here a Flex 1500 5 watts and a 115 end fed wire.
It was fun trying anyway. The propagation will be with us another time.
Take Care and 73, Dave K5MQ

VE9KK said...

Hello Dave, thanks very much for getting back to me. I did copy the K and Q and that was it. I did try the APF on the KX3 but that did not do the trick at all. I also noticed once off the air the propagation conditions were not so good at all. The Flex is a great radio and I have read lots about the flex systems and they are fine radio's. Last night I was running my KX3 at 5 watts the antenna is the MFJ 1788 loop antenna on the balcony of my 6th floor condo. I Get you posted here on the blog very nice to hear from you and soon in the future I am sure an on air QSO will happen.
Have a great week Dave
Mike