Monday, December 29, 2014

JT65HF up and going!

Screen shot of my first ever JT65HF contact!
I was shocked to see that my last blog post was almost a month ago! I have been on the radio on and off but the season has been very busy with work and then Christmas as well. I was doing some blog reading on the weekend and the Digi modes were being talked about again. In the past I have tried and tried but frustration settles in and I give up and move back to CW.  This time around I took more time and looked into the operation the JT65HF program. I do have wsjtx on my PC as well but it seemed to me that JT65HF was just a bit more basic for me and would at least get me going. The rig control I am using is DXlabs and as was said the digi software is JT65HF and Signalink usb sound card. I adjusted my output power on the K3 to 5 watts to see what would happen. I saw K0TPP calling CQ and I answered him and had my first JT65HF contact. I did not have anymore time for other contacts as other things had to be done around the house. BUT......this week I am hoping to some DX contacts.

15 comments:

  1. Great....K0TPP has been worked here as well in the past. On JT mode of course. It would be nice to have a chance to work you. What band will you be on and at what time approximately? Probabely we can make a sked? I can recommend VK3AMA's hamspots.net to you. It is like the RBN for JT65 mode. Good luck and I hope you can make some DX this week. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Bas, very nice to hear from you and I will for sure like to have a JT65 contact with you. I will be on during this week and the weekend I will spot myself on hamspots.com when I am on.
      Mike

      Delete
  2. Hi Mike, good job! JT65 is a great QRP mode and JT65HF works fine. Hope to work you in 2015. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Paul, I plan on seeing just how little power I can make DX contacts with. I was using 5 watts for starters yesterday. I would be great to work you and Bas on this mode.
      Mike

      Delete
  3. Welcome in WSJT modes. I am using WSJT-X with a Signalink interface too, hope to work you soon 73

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to look into WSJT-X once I get the hang of this mode. I do have it on my PC but I just want to work with the program I have first.
      Mike

      Delete
    2. Mike, the advantage of WSJT-X is JT9. A mode that is a bit more sensitive as JT65. And so the advantage for DX is obvious...73, Bas

      Delete
    3. Hi Bas, with the mode being a more sensitive would be an advantage for me as I need as much help as I can get with the antenna and location.
      Mike

      Delete
  4. Hi,I would very much appreciate a permanent link on your blog-site to my QRP shortwave website.

    Here’s a link to my QRP-website: www.stationqrp.com

    Thank you very much in advance!

    73's
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jack, thanks for the link and I will take a look at the site.
      Mike

      Delete
  5. Mike, I love that mode! It's especially great for us QRP op's as it has allowed me to snag states I probably would not got otherwise. Happy New Year and best of DX to you in 2015! 72!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on JT last night and I was able to preform other jobs on the PC while doing
      JT! I also tried calling some DX I saw on the screen but was unable as of yet to make contact but I have a total of 3 U.S stations.
      Mike

      Delete
  6. Hello Mike, I wish you and Julie a Happy and Healthy 2015. Good luck in QRP. 73, Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Bert, thanks very much and the same to you and your family.
      73,72
      Mike

      Delete