Sunday, September 14, 2014

A good afternoon on the radio

Just a bit more tidy
Today I took the chance to clean up the radio desk a bit, now that the LP-100A has been removed from the desk and sold I had a chance to rearrange things. I find it so funny that I remove one coax jumper at a time, then move a device  and re-attach the coax jumper and having done this to about 4 radio devices somehow I still end up with something going not where it should. I then have to trouble shoot things to get them back to "normal". Well things are working again and the shack/roll top desk is a little more organized. It was now time to get on the radio and see what was happening out there. I started out on 17m and came across W1AW/5 calling CQ I decided to drop my K3's power down to 500mW's and see how I did. I was able to snag him on the first call which meant it was a 2,211 miles per watt contact!
I then slipped over to 15m and came across V5/DK1CE calling CQ he was running split and it's not very often I try the split thing. It was only once before I was able to make a contact running split. I gave him a go and with about 2 repeats I was able to get into Namibia with 5 watts! I was thrilled to not only make a contact operating split but also to have my MFJ 1788 loop antenna with 5 watts make the trip.  

6 comments:

Dick said...

Hi Mike. Say, that is really an attractive desk. And congrats on the QRP Namibia contact. 73 Dick.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Nice looking desk Mike and a great DX with the minimal setup. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, Namibia is always nice to catch.Congrats! And the MFJ loop does work. ;-) 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Dick, great to hear you made it back to France safe and yes the desk is nice it's a roll top and the gear can hide away when not in use. I was very surprised about the Namibia contact that I was able to get through to him. He had a great signal into my QTH.
Mike

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, I wanted to clean things up and get more simple into the setup.
Mike

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, I was very happy to get the contact in the log for sure and yup it's telling me the loop is working just fine from this location.
Mike