Sunday, July 20, 2014

Shut down two days in a row!

A foggy view of Toronto from my setup
This weekend I planned on getting some radio time in Julie was going to see a friend who lives out of town on Saturday so I thought I would get out and get hamming. We live right on Lake Ontario and within a short walk and or bike ride there are some great locations on the lake to do some portable op's. On Friday night I charged up the KX3, set out all of the needed items for outdoor ops. Saturday came and off I went, I decided to walk and it turned out to be a longer walk then I thought. I arrived at my
Trail on the way there. 
spot and setup the KX3 along with my Alexloop. Just as I sat down to get some operating time in it started to rain! With no rain gear and about a 1/2 hour to walk back I packed things up and headed back. Well I tried it again on Sunday and this time I took my bike and some rain gear just in case. This time I set everything up and was ready to go until I tried to connect the Alexloop to the KX3…..it seems for some reason I removed the adapter that allowed me to go from PL 259 to BNC at home! There was no way to hook up my antenna to the KX3 radio so I decided the radio god's were just not smiling on my this weekend and I headed back home the long way to tour around the lake.  Lesson learned I now plan to make up a small 3x5 card with all that is needed for the trip.
Small river on my way home. 
One of the many beaches 

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, it really seems for some reason you're not allowed to be portable. I remember some battery problems in the past. Now the weather wouldn't coorperate and finally no way to connect the antenna. But at least you made some nice photos ;-). Well, I think indeed you should make a small list of items you need to bring with you and don't make it too complicated. Hopefully we can read some DX experience next time. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, I sure was disappointed to set all up and then realize that I had left one of the main parts to the setup behind. Well I am going to make up and check list and I really try to keep it simple but I'm old and I just forget....:)))
Mike

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, you live in a nice place. Well, I always check rain radar before leaving. ;-) I like to walk too but not with rain. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, yes we love this area and it's great for biking and walks I ride my bike each day to work about a 25 min ride. As for the weather it was a chance I took as it can look like it's going to rain all day and nothing. Have a great weekend.
Mike