Saturday, October 5, 2013

When the kids leave....you down size but what about the shack!!

As I sit here in the "shack", "radio room" "man cave" it's hard to fathom downsizing also includes the radio room. So what kind of changes am I in for....? The "I love me wall" with all the paper is now going to become the "I love me book", as there is no wall space. The operating desk with 3 monitors and the rigs and "stuff" all spread out is moving to a roll top desk with much less space. My attic fan dipole ( which is down and sold) is now changing to..........well I'm not sure yet.  There is the other part of the hobby I love, the kit building. I have an Elecraft K2 on the go and as I look over my shoulder at my setup for kit building that is going to have to go. I am going to have to use the roll top for double duty. So one may wonder if I am a depressed ham.......NOT AT ALL. It's exciting times here at VE3WDM for sure and I look forward to the challenge!
You know what folks, me and my family have our health which is HUGE to me! Overall we are not doing bad at all so the real big picture is not what is going to happen to ham radio..... that will always be there just in a different way. Each night I watch the news and peoples lives change in ways I could never imagine or handle. As for me my little world it's just a change in ham radio and that is just plane old peanuts!

6 comments:

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, there are many dicisions to be made, so take your time. 73, Bert

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bert, it's so true you don't want to rush into things but enjoy the process. l
Mike

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, indeed health is very important. As long we have no really complaints... when I read the news about Roger G3XBM and Julian G4ILO, then we have to count our blessings. Because it could happen to us also one day. Good luck with moving out. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, I read of Julian's operation and that he felt it was a success and that is great. As for Roger I have not heard or read anymore news of how hiw was doing. Health is something no money can buy.
Mike

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, check this blog about the health status of Roger G3XBM http://deshackedham.blogspot.nl/

73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, thanks very much for the link and I did check it out to see how he was doing and will continue to do so.
Mike