Saturday, September 14, 2013

Some very big changes at VE3WDM

Goodbye crazy driving
The new temp antenna
I have been very busy these past few weeks and my lack of blog posts can testify to that. Julie and I have been bouncing around some very big ideas. We have some very exciting plans ahead of us that will both help our over all well being. It also will bring about some huge changes with my hobby but I am very happy to say that it's a challenge I can meet. Both Julie and I have over an hour drive each way to work. We get up very early, get home late and to be early each evening. Then there is the winter months with the snow and crazy driving. We have decided to put our home up for sale here in the country and move to Toronto. We will be living in a condo as our kids have moved out and are doing just fine. This means downsizing both with our home belongings and my ham radio. We want to get a place that is in Toronto and over looks Lake Ontario. Both Julie and I are very excited about this and with this move I will be 10 min's from work and Julie 15 min's. We will have a fantastic board walk just steps from out condo. It thrills us that all the advantages of the city will be not an hour away but minutes.
So how does this affect radio for me.....well my Attic DX EE has been sold and already is taken down! Not to worry I still have my Alexloop that I can set up in my radio room until we sell and move. I have some gear for sale and it is slow but sure selling. I have sold the Sub receiver in my Elecraft K3 as I will be very limited with antennas in the new place. I don't have any room for an antenna for a sub receiver.  So I have been going over antenna options in a condo. There are far and few BUT one main advantage I will have that I don't have now is height! In the condo we are looking at the 11th floor and
up. I am thinking of using at first my Alexloop and then going to the MFJ loop antenna. This will be a new adventure in my QRP ham radio challenge.
Changes are coming

12 comments:

Dick said...

Good luck with your project. Most couples find that they have too much space after their grown children leave the nest. A smaller place makes sense. You will be getting rid of "stuff" which is, actually, a good thing. Also having a shorter commute will be heavenly. I presume you have researched annual expenses at a new condo QTH. Being smaller, utility bills may be less. But there are other required condo charges. As for the radio, if you have a large balcony, that will be helpful and a good place to put your loop. Check condo-cop regs. GL 73 Dick

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, I understand your arguments about moving out. You face a new experiment and challenge with low profile ham radio. ;-) I think your magnetics loops will a good job and they don't need a lot of space. Who need a big antenna? All the best, have a nice Sunday. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, a very big change and a big challenge as well. But a wise decision overall I think. Wish you and Julie good luck. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Dick, yes with the kids gone the house has lots of rooms that are not being used. As for stuff for sale we have a load of stuff that we are selling and so far it's going not to bad. As for the condo we have sat down and looked at the costs and will be able to save some good cash as well. As for the rule I can put a loop in the den and that would be just find as it's inside the unit and not on the balcony. With being close to 20 floors up the height should help as well.

VE9KK said...

Hi Paul, I do look at this as a new challenge and the loop is just the idea I was working on. Being up in the air in the condo will give the loop an advantage for sure. So for now it's going to be the Alexloop here at this QTH until we move.
Mike

VE9KK said...

Hello Bas, yes it sure is going to be a big change but Julie and I are very much looking forward to it and will welcome the new change with open arms. Thanks for the well wishes.
Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike... if they allow Sat Dishes on the balconies... then you might think about the MFJ Magloop. Its grey just like the sat dishes and can be tuned remotely.. I can think of worse things than having a mag loop at 200 feet AGL...

Good luck and all the best

73bob

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bob, I was thinking the same about setting up a mag loop. I have read some very nice reviews and this is one of my considerations. Not sure they allow dishes but it worse comes to worse I can have it indoors close to the sliding glass door.
Mike

Casey Bahr said...

Hi Mike, Congratulations on the move. I'm sure you will enjoy the offerings of the city. Obviously, you are already well prepared operating wise with your QRPp work. Perhaps you will find VHF/UHF work more enticing with less space to work in.

73!

VE9KK said...

Hey Casey great to hear from you, well the move will be happening soon we have to sell the place we are in now and then start looking. I really hope this is all done before December. I am still going to give HF a shot as now I will have the height I want to have.
Mike

Stefano IZ3NVR said...

Hey Mike, I really hope to work you from the new QTH. I bet the move will keep you busy but I hope the radio gear will be unpacked and put to work soon :)

cheers

VE9KK said...

Stefano that would be great if we could work that in to the mix.
Mike