Sunday, March 31, 2013

MFJ 1026 noise canceling unit...for today ham!

Things don't seem to work  when you really need them
I have been reading on many blogs of fellow hams who have had an increase in QRN due to many electrical sources and routers just to mention a few. The enjoyment of ham radio has been for many cut short due to devices blowing a hole in the spectrum!! Yes the companies are suppose to adhere to regulations regarding emissions. BUT both the adhering and the enforcement are very much lacking. We as hams are left to somehow deal with the hash that many modern items produce. I have this feeling it is not going to decrease as time goes on but increase. I have found this is were in my case the MFJ 1026 shines for me. I have a Plasma TV on the main floor and when Julie is cooking, surfing the net or relaxing the TV is on with some music playing in the background. I could go down and ask her to turn the TV off....but....I am a married man not a foolish man. Below is a YouTube video I did today showing how effective the MFJ 1026 is. It was done with my Iphone so some movement will be noticed. (note to self....get a proper recording device)

6 comments:

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

Very impressive! These devices are becoming almost essential for those with indoor antennas and high electrical noise. They seem to work very well. Thanks for posting!

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon John, yes they are a great device and once you get the hang of adjusting it the thing works great!! It's not hard to use but you have to take your time at first and understand that once you are at the fine tweeking stage it's slow and easy.
Mike

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, I agree with John, very impressive. This is something we really need to pick weak signals. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Paul, I was surprised that it can remove the offending QRN and at the same time allow the Ham signal to stay in-tacked.
Have a good week Paul
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, that is exactly te noise I was receiving on 10m this weekend. I think the MFJ noise canceller is certainly worth the money! The thing is that I receive the damn noise on my vertical, but not on my horizontal loop antenna. Strange? Anyway, great video. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, I pick up the noise on my dipole in the attic and the MFJ 1026 sure did the trick. There are some other noise cancelers out there but I settled for this one. You have to get used to how to adjust it but once past that it works great. I keep the sequence on a 3x5 card beside the unit as you have to use a certain order for it to work properly. I have a tendency to forget so the 3x5 card is a great help.
Have a great week Bas
Mike