Monday, February 11, 2013

Up coming ARRL DX CW contest.......

Last years action
It's that time of year again for the ARRL international CW DX contest. The bands will come alive with CW, I hope my CW practice will pay off and I can copy the fast guys!! Last year my goal during this contest was to pick up as many DXCC's as I could. My plans were by year end to have 100 DXCC's QRP in the books. That plan did not work out as I was just a few short of the goal. Another goal back then was to spend more time in the chair operating. This is were I really struggle and end up shutting things down early so we will see what happens this year.
Goals for this years contest
  1. Operate the contest with max 5 watts QRP and venture down into the QRPp zone!!
  2. Try to pickup the remander of DXCC's needed.
  3. To stay in the operating chair longer would be great, have to think about that one this week before the contest starts. 
These three goals seems like a great start and somewhat manageable  Other things that I have to go over is some shack cleaning, make sure N1MM is running up to par and check out SWR on all operating band.....there are more but these being some of the most important.
Good luck to all of you and hope to make contact with you in the contest!!

6 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hello Mike, I will give some points away, I seldom do a complete contest. The reason is: my shack is in the living, and in weekends the kids are around and visitors. So it's difficult to do a full time contest. I am most QRV on week days. Good luck, 73 Paul

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, you can make a mix. If you hear DX, work DX. When the S-meter goes up, then it's time for very low power. hi.
I will still have to take it easy, because of my health. But also a few QSO's with the Lowest Possible Power, can bring me a lot of fun. GL and enjoy the contest. 73, Bert

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, I can understand if the shack is in the living area.
Have a good week.
Mike

VE9KK said...

Hello Bert, I have a great time trying to make the contacts with the lowest power. Thanks for the well wishes and do take care of yourself.
Mike

Casey Bahr said...

Good luck finishing your DXCC goal Mike! I guess they alternate the dates for CW and Phone as I remember last year (wow, that went by faaaasssst!) the CW contest was in March. Probably not going to be geared up for it this time.

73, Casey TI2/NA7U

VE9KK said...

Good to hear from you Casey, I have not seen to much action on your blog and was getting concerned. I do hope to finish the goal in this contest but you never know?? Yes the year sure did go by fast....that's why I enjoy each and every day as much as I can. Well Casey thanks for stopping by and putting in your 2 cents worth.
Mike