In my last post I commented on not finding the time to get on the radio, so Saturday night I penciled in some radio time for Sunday. All was going well and I was able get the chores done I had planned to and now it was radio time. I sat down at the K3 on went the computer and then the K3 and my CQ began.....then Murphy paid me a visit. I noticed my SWR was bouncing all over the place from 1.2 up to 4.1 and so on!!!! I switched over to
Removing old coax from PL 259
Connector all cleaned up
the dummy load and all was well with the SWR which slowed my heart down from the steady pounding thinking it was my rig that was acting up. Now it was time to narrow things down on the other side of the rig. I directly hooked my Alpha Delta DX-EE antenna to the K3 and the SWR was good. That meant I was not going to have to travel into the attic anytime soon. It had to do with the interconnections here in the shack. I did narrow it down to a coax patch cord that had a high resistance from braid to center conductor. It was a simple matter of removing the PL 259 and reinstalling it a little further down the coax. The method I use when removing the coax allows me to heat up the center conductor and pull it out. I then pock the round Weller soldering tip through each hole where the braid is and at the same time pull the braid. I find this removes the old coax fast and clean.