Thursday, September 9, 2010

Elecraft KRX3 shipped today

Well after pondering for some time now Wednesday night I sent the email order off to Elecraft for a KRX3 sub receiver for my K3 radio. It was a toss up between that and the Elecraft P3, AE5X posted a similar question on Nabble and mentioned the results in his blog. I wanted to carefully look at the KRX3 and it's benefits to my station if any, it is a large layout of funds not including the 3 eight pole Inrad filters I have to order as well.
Here were the KRX3's selling points:

1. Ability to use two antennas one for receiving and the other transmitting. I have a dipole that is very quite in the attic but can only apply 5 watts to it. My vertical in the backyard (my state of the art vertical) is very noisy. Now I will have the ability to listen virtually noise free.

2.The KRX3 is a completely separate receiver, DSP and  filters.... everything. On most rigs VFO A and B have to be on the same band to work properly as with my old FT-1000mp. The addition of the KRX3 will allow me to scout out  band conditions during a contest on 40 meters with the sub-receiver while still working a run (in my dreams) on 20 meters with my main receiver.

3.Then there is the whole idea of listening to both sides in a DXepadition, how cool is that!!

4.The sub VFO can track the main VFO so if the DXepadition  moves up or down it is a matter of turning the main VFO and the sub follows.

5. Bottom line it's a toy and I want it!!



Thank you Arie PA3A for this great YouTube video on the KRX3 assembly and the music is fantastic...Santana. I would imagine most have seen it as it has close to 4,000 hits if not have a look. Seems to me to be a very well done video.  Let me know what you think of the quality of this video Julian??

4 comments:

Dick said...

That KRX3 appears to be a great item. The principal of it could solve a lot of QRN problems for MANY hams.

Good luck with it.

73 Dick

John AE5X said...

Hey Mike, that's great! I'll be anxious to hear your impressions of it once you've had a chance to tinker with it a while.

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, nice video, I admire such skills because when I do such things, there's always something going wrong. I do more harm then I solve a problem. Have a nice weekend, 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Yes Paul PA3A did a very nice job. For a six minute video it's I imagine hours of work.